California is entering it's third year of drought. The governor and the federal government have declared drought emergencies. Here are some tips and advice that can help reduce water waste and manage water very efficiently.
* Monitoring your water meter weekly for large increases that may indicate a leak in your system somewhere.
* Repair broken sprinklers and pipes right away.
* Learn to program your irrigation controllers and timers to water early in the mornings.
* Check soil moisture using a 12" screwdriver and if the soil is moist below 3" do not water.
* Choose water thrifty plant materials.
* Utilize organic mulches and native ground covers to conserve water and reduce evaporation of applied water.
* Check local water providers web sites for rebates on water thrifty irrigation controllers,sprinklers heads and nozzles.
* Hire knowledgeable irrigation specialist that can help you reduce your landscape water use.
By incorporating some or all of the tips and advice listed above you will be doing your part to help reduce wasting water and surely reduce your water bill during this drought.