When looking for ways to save water and keep from wasting water in a residential or commercial landscape, there are many new irrigation products out in the market that can assist you in your quest. I have listed a few of the best that can help you reduce your landscape water use and in some cases, pay you for doing so depending on your site location/city/state.
1. Weather based irrigation controllers: These are irrigation controllers that have the ability to water the landscape by utilizing the real time weather temps and also historical data of the area to help the owner manage and control the amount of water being applied to various types of landscaping plants,and lawn areas. The controllers come with "On-site" station capability and also the controllers can be managed from a "Hub" or monitoring station for a monthly fee.
2. Drip irrigation: Drip emitters, In-Line drip distribution line, and Sub-Surface drip lines all supply constant and steady regulated flow of water to the root system of plants and lawns. The use of drip irrigation is a wise choice as the water is less likely to evaporate as quickly as when being applied through conventional overhead watering thus, reducing water waste. Also the possibilities of over spray and broken sprinklers that lead to water waste is greatly reduced by using some form of drip irrigation.
3. In-Stem Flow regulated sprinkler and shrub heads: These water saving devices are available and in some cities are rebate qualified through various rebate programs that are being induced to entice owners and water managers to conserve landscape water. These devices have been tested and proven to save water managers an average of 30% in water use at their managed sites. We use these devices every opportunity we get when installing new irrigation systems or retro-fitting existing irrigation systems.
4. Rotating and Percision Type Spray Nozzles: These cutting edge spray nozzles reduce the amount of water being wasted by applying the water in the form of heavier water droplets and in a more uniform manner than conventional nozzles. Many of these new series nozzles are also rebate possible in various cities in the U.S.
By investigating the above possibilities for your own irrigation situation, I am sure you will find a way to help reduce your water use in the landscape and keep and possibly put some extra dollars in your pocket for doing so.
* Useful web sites to locate some of the above mentioned products:
www.hunterirrigation.com - www.toroirrigation.com - www.rainbirdirrigation.com - www.valvettesystems.com